Tuesday, August 16, 2011

eastern redbud

This is an eastern redbud that I got at mardens for $4.00.
These trees make horrible bonsai trees. The branches are brittle and the leaves are huge. It does back bud pretty well.I have trimmed off a bunch of the lower branches and it budded higher up.  the reason I got this tree is for it's flowers. it's one of the first trees to flower.The flowers pop out everywhere, including the trunk.
I got this tree in late spring it was probably too late to re-pot it, but I did. It bounced back pretty well. I didn't disturb too much of the root ball. next spring it's going to get a good root pruning.

Here are a few pictures of what it went through this summer.

1 comment:

  1. Lance, even with the fact that red buds are brittle, have large leaves and long branches, I can't help but think that their spring flowers on bare twigs would save them! Yours has a beautiful root base to start as well. So after 5 years, what does this tree look like? This season, I planted redbud seedlings and twisted them up before they got brittle. As pre bonsai, they look pretty interesting so far. Lani

    ReplyDelete